Using Apup v1.5.1 and AP v5.7.56 to Install Win7 Updates

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
TerryM

Using Apup v1.5.1 and AP v5.7.56 to Install Win7 Updates

Post by TerryM »

Using AP v6.2.02 Official release, I have tried unsuccessfully to install "missing" updates (i.e. updates that remain checked and black after an installation - have tried multiple times, with wuauserv stopped, but 9 updates do not install).

Thought I would revert back to Apup v1.5.1 and AP v5.7.56 to check if they would complete the install. Used Apup to downloaded the Modules and Win7 script (June 23). Ran Sweeper v1.3.7 in Apup and got errors (see Sweeper log attachment).

Decided to use AP v6.2.02 Modules and Win7 script in AP v5.7.56. Moved Modules and seven_x64_sp1.rtiz to AP v5.7.56 dir. Ran AP and got errors (see autopatcher log attachment).

Questions:
1) anything else I can try with AP v6.2.02 to install the updates?
2) ok to copy/use use AP v6.2.02 Modules and seven_x64_sp1.rtiz in AP v5.7.56?
Attachments
autopatcher.log
(507 Bytes) Downloaded 695 times
Sweeper.log
(517 Bytes) Downloaded 648 times
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Using Apup v1.5.1 and AP v5.7.56 to Install Win7 Updates

Post by Whatacrock »

A suggestion would be make a list of those that still display installation required, then manually install each one. You may see a dialog box stating that this update is not required. You can then ignore those which do not install, someone else may elaborate on this as unsure what to do...
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

My $0.02

AP 6x seems to continue to have problems with installing updates, that's why I would focus on AP5x for now to get you rolling unless AP5x wont run on your system, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, we seem to stop at Sweeper failing - sorry if I missed it. BTW, You can still maintain a 6x install as well, and yes, you can copy the .\modules folder between both versions, the scripts are what determines the contents of the .\modules folder. You will need to copy the associated rtiz file for each release too.

To bypass this Sweeper issue (for now) I would uncheck 'running sweeper before close' in apup to get passed this point. You may want to update Sweeper, copy over Sweeper from ap6x -> v2. I'm be curious if the decrypt issue continues with v2, if so, can you grab the rti files from the \ap_temp, drop them in \ap root to see if this helps??? You'll need to move out the original rtiz before running ap or sweeper???

You said the releases were official in ap6x, can you load the same releases in ap5x??? Official/Unofficial/can't start up ap5x to determine this???

The Ap log had maybe 17 lines, looks like something went wrong while writing it, did ap5x choke here too??? A verbose log would have much more info. my bad, looks like my ap5x verbose log has the same lines, with one additional line at the end - "Autopatcher Is Terminating At 6/23/2016 10:20:04 AM". just wonderin' if ap5x was able to close properly...

We probably should get it out of the way first, is ap5x complete, all the needed files inplace so ap can run properly??? Can ap5x start and load the win7 releases and display them as complete - again, sorry, I see downloaded with apup, sweeper failed, then moved to ap6x. Sweeper is a cleanup tool primarily, as long as AP5x and apup151 work and the releases are official we can figure out why sweeper is puking later.
Last edited by ChrisJ on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected myself :)
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

If you want to experiment, here's both win7 x86 & x64 rti files from the june 23 script...

simply append the original rtiz file name - i like to use seven_x64_sp1.rtiz.save, then drop the rti(s) in \ap root.

this is just to see if sweeper will run, you don't have to bother if you don't want to, either way, when done, just delete the .7z and 2 rti(s) from \ap root, and restore the rtiz name(s) -> seven_x64_sp1.rtiz, all will be back to normal. If you should experiment please report what happened, anything catch fire???
Last edited by ChrisJ on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Uploaded wrong files - removed attachment.
TerryM

Post by TerryM »

Hi Chris,

As per your instructions, I have the following observations:
1) copied Sweeper v2 to apup and it ran without any errors using apup Modules (recall Sweeper v1.3.7 choked right away)
2) copied Win7 script and modules from apup to AP v5.7.56 and it failed the MD5 check (Crash Handler reported that an error occurred while AP was trying to get a file's MD5 hash) using the seven_x64_SP1.rtiz from June 23
3) as a result of the crash in 2), couldn't get AP v5.7.56 to show whether it's Official or not.

OK, now this is interesting:
1) downloaded the win7-rti-files-0623.7z you attached but 7-Zip decompressed to show both seven_x86_sp1.rti and seven_x64_sp1.rti from June 21 script
2) decided to try the seven_x64_sp1.rti anyway in AP v5.7.56 and it passed the MD5 choke point and came up as per norm (showing the 9 uninstalled updates as per AP v6.2.02) but in an Unofficial/Unsupported state, as I would expect using the old (June 21) script
3) so, it looks like AP v5.7.56 will run with a .rti not a rtiz???

Getting further along. Can you post the June 23 Win7 script file for me to try to get AP v5.7.56 into Official state?
TerryM

Post by TerryM »

Chris,

A follow-on point from my last post. I decompressed the seven_x64_sp1.rtiz (June 23) in AP v6.22.02 and used the .rti in AP 5.7.56. It worked. The Release Information shows Release = True but AP still displays Unofficial/Unsupported.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

► Show Spoiler
1) The oldest I have is 1.3.10. If v2.0 is working I would use it.
2) APUP is designed to run from within AP5x (NOT AP6x) so you can move over the related APUP files and folders - except C:\apup...
.\bin -->> new apup uses \bin (shared with ap), old apup used \apup_bin
apup.exe
apup.ini
apup.log

Since you've already moved .\modules you don't need to do it again.

2 & 3) I have AP5756, loaded with 4 releases that use the rtiz, they extract fine, all is official. What versions of 7zip are in the .\bin folders - just wonderin'? Is AP5x crashing on you, can you even startup AP5x, no releases, will it even start. A release failing is not the same as AP crashing - are both issues happening. If AP is crashing we need to fix this first and not mess with your release issues (for now). AP can start up without any releases you'll simply get "no compatible items found" but AP itself will be official.

*** I think, but I'm not sure, when we updated the tools to use the newer versions of 7zip (from 9 to 15, then 16) somehow the commands aren't fully worked out, including the extraction process for rtiz files (in some cases) as well the update installation process (in some cases). The version of 7zip in my AP5x folder is still 9.20.

and...

1) I'm sorry, I'm an idiot for uploading the wrong rti files, again sorry.
2) OK, making some progress - kinda. AP5x can handle the rti but not the rtiz. Wonderin' if 7zip or the commands are broken, that extract the rtiz???
3) See 2 above. This is atleast good to know -- you can download the releases, and as a temp fix move out the rtiz (or append the name and leave them be) and drop the rti in place to atleast load AP5x.
Last edited by ChrisJ on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TerryM wrote:Chris,

A follow-on point from my last post. I decompressed the seven_x64_sp1.rtiz (June 23) in AP v6.22.02 and used the .rti in AP 5.7.56. It worked. The Release Information shows Release = True but AP still displays Unofficial/Unsupported.
Release=True -> but AP=Unofficial -> = Extra File(s). You have a stray or strays somewhere. This was why Sweeper was designed, to help identify missing or extra files.

Now, this is where being careful is very important when using Sweeper. If you have the latest release updated, I think you have only Windows 7 x64 correct???, and you have the latest rtiz file that verifies the release, and my 7x86 rti file is gone since you don't need it, run Sweeper and it will offer to delete the Extras, providing a dialog to say "NO". I like to run Sweeper.exe /test and consult the log and remove them by hand to a safe place - just in case. In most cases you can simply run Sweeper and either agree to remove the files or not. Let us know if we've made any headway with this :)
TerryM

Post by TerryM »

ChrisJ wrote:
TerryM wrote:Chris,

Release=True -> but AP=Unofficial -> = Extra File(s). You have a stray or strays somewhere. This was why Sweeper was designed, to help identify missing or extra files.

Now, this is where being careful is very important when using Sweeper. If you have the latest release updated, I think you have only Windows 7 x64 correct???, and you have the latest rtiz file that verifies the release, and my 7x86 rti file is gone since you don't need it, run Sweeper and it will offer to delete the Extras, providing a dialog to say "NO". I like to run Sweeper.exe /test and consult the log and remove them by hand to a safe place - just in case. In most cases you can simply run Sweeper and either agree to remove the files or not. Let us know if we've made any headway with this :)
Without any Modules or script, AP5 loads ok (no crash) but in Unofficial status.

Only using seven_x64_sp1.rti script.

OK, now pursuing getting AP v5.7.56 into Official status.

I have the latest seven_x64_sp1.rti and Modules in the AP5 dir. Copied Sweeper 2.0 from AP6 to AP5 (also had to copy the 7za app from AP6 bin to AP 5 bin to get Sweeper to run in AP5). Ran Sweeper in AP5, scanned 535 files and found 35 extra files: \translations\1033.apl, .apt, .msl (1035, 1036, 1040, 1043, 1045, 1046, 1055, 2067, 2070). Felt lucky so I decided to delete ALL files - not a good move - AP5 reported that it was bogus and suggested an immediate exit (as per your caution - need to be careful which files to delete). Moved Module and seven_x64_sp1.rti to temp, reinstalled AP5 again from .7z, moved back Modules and script from temp, now back to square one with AP5 Unoffical status. Any suggestion which files to delete?

Also, want to combine Apup with AP5 but not sure exactly which files to move. Here are the files moved into AP5, correct?:
apup.exe
apup.ini
apup.log
Modules
seven_x64_sp1.rti
Sweeper v2.0 (from AP6)
bin/7za.exe (from AP6/bin)
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Hi Terry

After hours of trial & error I've found part of the problem and what may only be part of the solution, with some remaining issues. For me anyway, ap5x is now also broken so I have no working AutoPatcher. I overwrote my old 5x with this zip and it is failing for me too. Hello WSUSOfflineUpdate or something, maybe a batch script, but I'm burn't on AP and all the bugs, and virtually no answers.

If you found ap5756 here - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47&start=350#p4988
...and apup151 here - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1271#p4218
-->> There's a few differences from the usual steps that need to be addressed. Also a problem of sorts.
TerryM wrote:Without any Modules or script, AP5 loads ok (no crash) but in Unofficial status.
Yes, one of the problems is the zip is minus an rti that verifies ap5756.
TerryM wrote:I have the latest seven_x64_sp1.rti and Modules in the AP5 dir. Copied Sweeper 2.0 from AP6 to AP5 (also had to copy the 7za app from AP6 bin to AP 5 bin to get Sweeper to run in AP5).
Yes, another issue of sorts with the ap zip from link above, no 7zip files in \ap\bin\. In short, apup now uses the \bin folder (no longer apup_bin, now shared with ap) so you can move all the files from apup 151 \bin folder to ap\bin. Note: 2 files are the same and so is safe to overwrite them when asked. Sweeper will thank you. Drop "apup" .exe, .ini, and .log in \ap root with the others.
TerryM wrote:Ran Sweeper in AP5, scanned 535 files and found 35 extra files: \translations\1033.apl, .apt, .msl (1035, 1036, 1040, 1043, 1045, 1046, 1055, 2067, 2070). Felt lucky so I decided to delete ALL files - not a good move - AP5 reported that it was bogus and suggested an immediate exit (as per your caution - need to be careful which files to delete).
Yes, when Sweeper runs it checks against the rti(s) present, if files are found that are not mentioned they are viewed as extra. I would expect though that the \translation folder would get ignored unless you dropped an rti from ap6x in - which btw wont verify ap5x, I tried. I always suggest Sweeper.exe /test for newcomers.
TerryM wrote:Moved Module and seven_x64_sp1.rti to temp, reinstalled AP5 again from .7z, moved back Modules and script from temp, now back to square one with AP5 Unoffical status. Any suggestion which files to delete?
OK, I'll start from the beginning... to cover everything, hopefully :)
->create new ap folder, name it \whatever...
->get and extract ap zip from link to \whatever above...
->get and extract apup zip from link to \whatever above, overwrite the 2 files (their the same)...
->get and extract the attached rti to \whatever above...

At this point the rti should pass ap, and the 7zip files (from apup 151) should now populate \bin. This will allow ap to startup and be official, apup can run, sweeper too. Now, copy or move the \modules folder and its contents and any release rti from \old\ap root to \new\ap root. It's very common to copy \modules from point "a" to point "b" just don't forget the release rti as well. I wouldn't overwrite anything, make sure the new folder has either an empty \modules directory or none at all - much easier.

Some of the remaining issues I found:
► Show Spoiler