Big problems with Win 7 Ultimate x64

Requests for help go in here.
Galane

Big problems with Win 7 Ultimate x64

Post by Galane »

Tried running APUP and get this log

Autopatcher v5.7.56 Has Started at 4/28/2014 1:57:37 PM

Getting OS Type And Microsoft Items Installed On This Machine...
Automation error
In mdlEnvironmentDetection.DetectOSViaWMI At Line 102
Detected OS:

Unknown Language ID: 0
(these unknown language lines repeated a huge number of times)
Unknown Language ID: 0

Module 'Update for Revoked Certificates - December 2013 (KB2917500)' (unique id: 'KB2917500_WIN_ALL') reports 'WINDOWS_COMMON_PARENT' as its parent, but such module does not exist or is not loaded in the right order.

Autopatcher Is Terminating At 4/28/2014 2:00:03 PM

When I run Autopatcher I get this error message

Automation error
In mdlEnvironmentDetection,DetectOSViaWMI At Line 102

Then the only item available is Microsoft Windows - Updated Components. When I check that box, the Next button stays greyed out.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big problems with Win 7 Ultimate x64

Post by TheAPGuy »

Are you sure...
apup would not say "Autopatcher" in its log. DetectOSViaWMI is a feature only in autopatcher not apup.

For it to not connect to WMI... you might not have WMI running. Some tools that promise to speed your computer up turn a lot of windows services off. Fortunately autopatcher has the original detection code in place for such an issue.

First thought I ask that you provide the full log for both apup and autopatcher. Please attach your log files. Both files at once may be too big to paste into the chat box here. Use the full editor option in the forum here. Down below the input box you will see an area for attaching files.
Galane

Post by Galane »

Full log from autopatcher.

I found this. http://community.spiceworks.com/help/Tr ... ooting_WMI

All is configured as it should be, but entering wmic systemenclosure get serialnumber in an elevated command prompt displays SerialNumber with nothing else.

I also ran the script linked to from there, and Microsoft's WMI tool. Still no change with what Autopatcher is doing, but now something with that script has made Windows fail to detect that Avast antivirus is installed and working.
Attachments
autopatcher.log
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Ok ya... line 102 is the line just after connecting to WMI services. The fact that your getting an automation error bugs me. I will toss some error checking code in that area to see if something pops up. Till then... you can use autopatchers old detect code by using a command line "/no_wmi_detect". You can place it in a batch file or an extension-less file called "arguments". The old detect code may not correctly identify the newer OS's some of WIN7 and half of WIN8.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I read the link and I also went to MSDN and they say you can try a recover by doing the below things...

First you will need a cmd window that has admin rights. Right click on your desktop and hit new and then shortcut. In that box place in "cmd" and hit next and next again. You should now see a black boxed icon on your desktop. You now have a command window that you can run commands from however it does not have administrator rights even though you are the admin. You must set that icon to run the window in admin mode by right clicking on the black box icon and hit Run As Administrator. That will one time run that program(cmd window) as administrator. From there run the following lines...

Code: Select all

winmgmt /kill
That will stop WMI, Then run the next line

regsvr32 wmisvc.dll
That will re-register WMI with windows. Then run the line below

winmgmt /resyncperf /sharedhost /salvagerepository
That will restart WMI with performance libraries(some people like it, some don't. You don't need the /resyncperf if you don't want it running) and have it verify and repair any issues it finds.
Galane

Post by Galane »

I get Invalid Parameter with winmgmt /kill Tried the other two, without the /resyncperf then restarted. No change in autopatcher.

It's working with /no_wmi_detect so I'm installing everything marked critical or resolves issues or incompatibility. All that's in this autopatcher folder is Autopatcher, common modules and the 32 and 64 bit Win 7 updates.

After the reboot I'll try it again without the /no_wmi_detect

No problems at all running Autopatcher on a laptop with Win 7, installed from the same media.

On the desktop I used LapLink PC mover to copy over files and some programs from XP, but *not* antivirus or any drivers or any of the .NET, JAVA or any other program or utility which would do anything with the system.

I wonder if system file checker would fix WMI? What's weird is that aside from Autopatcher, everything works fine. No problems with anything in the management console.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@Galene --- I downloaded this as have a client with a laptop with problems (I put this down to the WMI) -- still waiting for it to arrive. It may be useful for your situation http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... lder.shtml
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Galane

Post by Galane »

Whatacrock wrote:@Galene --- I downloaded this as have a client with a laptop with problems (I put this down to the WMI) -- still waiting for it to arrive. It may be useful for your situation http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... lder.shtml
Just tried that in safe mode. Rebooted, went to services then set WMI back to Automatic then started it. Autopatcher took about a minute to start, then exactly the same as it was.

Also did SFC /verifyonly and that found nothing at all wrong.

This is getting to be like an episode of Mystery Diagnosis. Can't find a thing wrong with the patient, yet there's this one thing that doesn't work.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well I know a few other ways to connect to wmi... I might see how much of a pain it is to throw a test program together.

The current way of connecting to WMI was placed in by the previous coders and quite frankly, I am surprised it works. It is not a documented way of connecting to WMI that I have seen. I will give them props though.. it is very simple to do and code with.

I just noticed you said "LapLink". Man that brings back memories... I still have the original version of laplink on a floppy. It was for dos in the days of windows 3.1B(I still have the 21 1.7m disk install set). It used serial ports to transfer data.
Galane

Post by Galane »

I swapped D: for C:. Installed Win 7 onto D: then switched the boot order in BIOS so D: became C: I used PC Mover to shift over some programs and files that would've taken a while to dig out of various places, plus some game saves I didn't want to lose. ;) everything working fine, except Autopatcher.

I bet if I did an upgrade in place it'd fix this, must be one little thing PC Mover picked up from XP but that's apparently not causing trouble, except for...

What is being a problem is getting 7 to quit obeying security settings on old files and folders created under XP, where it blocks programs from re-saving old files or writing anything to some folders, or creating anything other than a new folder inside some old folders - despite the fact I never used any kind of explicit security on anything in XP.