Win7 64 Updates not installing in AP 6.2.9

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
ellentk

Win7 64 Updates not installing in AP 6.2.9

Post by ellentk »

I'm running Win7 Pro 64 bit. Autopatcher found quite a few win7 64 bit updates to install, but has only installed one. I've tried updating batches of 3 and 5 updates. AP cycles through them, advises it has finished, and reboots the PC but when I reopen AP to install the next batch I find that the updates it just said were installed are still listed in black. And they are not in the installed list of updates in control panel.

When I click download updates, AutoPatcher Engine 6.2.09 (restart after download) and AutoPatcher for Windows 7 SP1 (x64) are in blue in the list of available releases. Thinking this may have caused the problem, I've tried downloading them two or three times, but they also remain blue, and I'm assuming uninstalled.

I also tried to install a single small update by clicking the msu file, but that hung.

I've tried installing updates with windows firewall and malwarebytes both on and off - it makes no difference. I've tried with bitdefender anti-virus on and off and with an exception for AP. (Bitdefender blocked AP before I added the exception.) These variations also made no differnce.

To get a better idea of what's going on, I searched for a log file, which I've read in another post is called ap.log, but didn't find it.

What should I do to fix this?

Thanks for any help.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Win7 64 Updates not installing in AP 6.2.9

Post by TheAPGuy »

The log file is in the same folder as autopatcher is. It is called autopatcher.log. If it is not in that directory try looking at the C drive for it at "c:\autopatcher.log".
Is your windows 7 at service pack 1?
ellentk

Post by ellentk »

Too bad AP doesn't append log files. Here are the only three I have.
(Note: critical.txt is a file I created listing the updates to be installed. Should I not keep it in the AP folder?)
Thanks very much for your help.
► Show Spoiler
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

you can keep the critical.txt' where it is if you don't mind AP telling you that your unofficial. You can safely move it to the root of AP's directory without issues and name it something like Win7_Critical.txt

Which updates are not installing? Just give us the first 3-4.
ellentk

Post by ellentk »

Here are two logs. I did everything with Windows Firewall, Bitdefender free virus shield, and Malwarebytes off and Windows Update disabled in Services.

1. Log created after I selected these releases to download:
AutoPatcher Engine 6.2.09 (Restart after download) - in blue
AutoPatcher for Windows 7 SP1 (x64) - in red
AP advised all items retrieved, performed md5 checks on files
I restarted as AP advised once these operations were finished.

Autopatcher v6.2.9 Has Started at 8/11/2016 12:54:26 PM

Starting Autopatcher From D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2

Checking if an update is already running.
Detected OS: English (1033) Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
Current Locale: English / Non-Unicode Default: English
***Downloading/Processing Release List***

List file HTTP location: http://www.autopatcher.net/releases.list
Download queue processed. Proceeding to next phase.

***Release list Processed: Waiting for User Input***

Searching For Existing Releases Installed...
Found: AutoPatcher Engine 6.2.09 (Restart After Download)
Found: AutoPatcher for Windows 7 SP1 (x64) Is Not Current.
Search Complete

The Following Releases have been Picked:
apengine/apengine_6209.script
seven_x64/autopatcher_seven_x64_sp1_20160809.script

***Running Any Pre-Cleanup Routines***

***Starting Detection Routine Phase***

Missing file KB3167679_seven_x64.apm
Missing file KB3175443_IE11_seven_x64.apm
Missing file KB3177725_seven_x64.apm
Missing file KB3178034_seven_x64.apm
--Adding http://www.autopatcher.net/releases/sev ... 60809.7z--

Missing file IE11-Windows6.1-KB3175443-x64.msu
--Adding https://download.microsoft.com/download ... -x64.msu--

Missing file Windows6.1-KB3167679-x64.msu

Missing file Windows6.1-KB3177725-x64.msu

Missing file Windows6.1-KB3178034-x64.msu

Detection error for file D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\seven_x64_sp1.rtiz
MD5 Hashes do NOT match. Expecting 8A7D62C5B25F4804868A424BA50081E6, but found 406F878F68AD3359E57DD3DC2803F77B !!!
--Adding http://www.autopatcher.net/releases/sev ... 809.rtiz--

***Downloading Releases***

Files to be Downloaded: 6

***Processing Cleanup Routines***

Extracting D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\temp_bin\___windows_critical_seven_x64_sp1.7z into D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\modules\Windows_Seven_x64\Critical
Exit Button Pushed From Installation Window.

Autopatcher Is Terminating At 8/11/2016 1:00:16 PM

2. I then tried to install three updates. The log indicates they were installed, but they are still in black in the AP list of files to be installed and I could not find them in Windows list of installed update or update history.

Windows update history list shows KB3067903 tried as Cancelled with a date of 8/11/16. However, I didn't try to install it manually nor did I set up AP to do so.
Here is the log:

Autopatcher v6.2.9 Has Started at 8/11/2016 1:12:39 PM

Starting Autopatcher From D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2

Checking if an update is already running.
Detected OS: English (1033) Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
Current Locale: English / Non-Unicode Default: English
Deleting File D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\temp_bin\apengine.rti
Deleting File D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\temp_bin\seven_x64_sp1.rti
UNOFFICIAL: File 'D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\modules\Windows_Seven_x64\Critical\Critical_files\critical.txt' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'D:\Downloaded Programs\AutoPatcher 6.2\modules\Windows_Seven_x64\NonCritical\noncritical.txt' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

Installing Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2818604)
Installing Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3060716)
Installing Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3071756)
Silent Error: Attempted to give prgTotalProgress a negative value or a value too high :100

Autopatcher Is Terminating At 8/11/2016 1:16:17 PM

I hope this still isn't TMI. I'm not sure if listing the KB numbers are enough and thought the logs would be more helpful. Please remove any info you find extraneous.

What should I try next?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

KB2818604 Is for AMD computers and should not be visible to you if you have an INTEL CPU.

KB3060716 and KB3071756 Should install.

hmm... strange... Ohhh I see the problem with the updates. I will PM WAC about it.
ellentk

Post by ellentk »

Thanks, APGuy. I await your reply.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm what I thought was a problem was not. :( Have you tried running the updates manually to see if they install? You will find them in modules\Windows_Seven_x64\Critical\Critical_files
ellentk

Post by ellentk »

I've had sporadic success with individual installs. When I first downloaded AP, back in June, one or two worked and then I gave up after a few hours of nothing happening with the third file...this long wait seemed to be the same windows update problem that prompted me to try AP.

I'll try installing a few small msu files. I think I read in a post on this board that AP needs win update to finish the install. If it does, should I keep it disabled or start it before I launch an msu file? (I think I answered this question below.)

With windows firewall, malwarebyes, bit defender virus shield, and windows update services off, I double clicked 3108664 and got error 0x80070422 - "service cannot be started either because disabled or has no enabled devices associated with it." So I manually enabled win update services and tried installing the 267 kb file again.

Windows Update Standalone Explorer spent 15 minutes "searching for updates on this computer." Based on similar experiences with other updates, I could have turned it off then, but let it run for 2 more hours.

I tried to close the "searching for updates" window by clicking cancel but nothing happened. I had to open task manager and kill the wusa.exe process.

The msu file is in a folder on my d: drive. Does Windows Update Standalone Installer only look for it in a default location and if so where?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

It does not matter where the update is run from. It will do its thing properly. (that is to say it will install and then exit or not... MS coding is crap some times.)

ok so KB3108664 is an update that hangs and needs a kill. That is good information for us so we can add it to the list of things to auto kill after X minutes (probably 20 or so).