Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Removing Admin Rights Could Block 92 Percent of Critical

Post by TheAPGuy »

In other news people are reporting old news again thus proving that news is in fact a fad.

lol Most people know this. Why did they have to do ANOTHER study on something that should be common sense to many. IF your an admin any program you run can do what ever it wants. IF your not an admin it has to ask to do things... simple as that. You can get by windows UAC if you know how.
Paul Stenning

Re: Removing Admin Rights Could Block 92 Percent of Critical

Post by Paul Stenning »

In Windows XP it is possible for programs to run from the users folder in Document and Settings without administrator rights. I have seen software that has been installed there (and works fine) by users without admin rights. Messenger type programs can install themselves there if they can't install in Program Files, as do things like Amazon's MP3 downloader. I've seen Google Chrome there on one PC too, installed by a user without admin permissions.

If these install and work there then malware can and will too.

The information in that news story may well apply to Windows Vista and later but it doesn't apply to XP.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

System Update Readiness Tool

Post by Whatacrock »

This update was discussed on the other forum and so now that it is updated for February 2014, decided let it be known here.

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista (KB947821) [February 2014]
Description:
This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software. This tool checks your computer for such inconsistencies and tries to resolve issues if found.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
parkd1

Re: Only 50 Days Left to Abandon Windows XP

Post by parkd1 »

Would be great of microsoft would put out a SP2 for Windows 7. That my help to 29% make the move when Windoow XP has ended. If you look here http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?act=home you can see there are lots of fix hat has been made after SP1 for Windows 7 This would make Windows 7 even better if there was an SP2.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Only 50 Days Left to Abandon Windows XP

Post by Whatacrock »

The Service Pack may come in good time, patience is required though !!
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Microsoft Working on a Free Version of Windows

Post by Whatacrock »

Microsoft might at some point offer users a free version of Windows, if new reports pointing to a testing build of such an operating system are indeed accurate.

Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet is reporting that Windows 8.1 with Bing, a new SKU that got leaked to the web recently, could be one of the builds that might be offered free of charge to users in the coming years.

While everything sounds like it’s all just milk and honey for Windows users, there is a catch and many people might not be pleased with it.

As you could easily guess by simply reading the name of this particular SKU, it might be delivered with Bing branding and, although changes are said to be only minor as compared to a traditional version of the operating system, Microsoft might actually try to offer Bing incentives for users and OEMs in order to keep the product free of charge.

In other words, Windows 8.1 with Bing, which is actually the only build of the operating system that has chances to be offered free of charge, could come with advertisements and other promos, which is clearly not the best options for end users out there and companies looking for a clean platform that would maximize productivity.

The idea of offering Windows with ads isn’t new however and, according to some previous reports, Microsoft started thinking about it before the launch of Windows 8.

Bing Smart Search is basically the living proof that Windows 8.1 could at some point get ads, as this particular feature can look for links and information online, while also displaying advertisements on any kind of device, including tablets and PCs.

At this point, Microsoft has nothing to comment on plans to offer Windows for free, but the company is already releasing major updates for the operating system at no cost. Windows 8.1, for example, came with a freeware license for all those running Windows 8, while Windows 8.1 Update 1, a major update coming this spring, is also expected to be offered free of charge to users.

The company however will continue to monetize Windows in the traditional way every time a new major release hits the market, which means that making the move to Windows 9, for example, would also require you to pay for a license.

Of course, no confirmed information is available right now, so expect Microsoft to share more on its future plans in the coming months, as Windows 8.1 Update 1 is projected to hit the market in April.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsof ... 9774.shtml
ChrisJ

Re: Latest Microsoft News articles

Post by ChrisJ »

what motivated me to build a new system around linux mint instead of windows 7 or 8 for a friend is the fact the latest microsoft ceo has stated microsoft will spend most of its time focusing on mobile devices and the cloud, this has caused some concern for desktop users, and should. they offered a weak follow-up about gamers, didn't convince me microsoft wont slowly move away from desktops into a new method of distributing their os better protecting their ability to control the theft of it. i admit i'm speculating but you never know with microsoft, how will they do this, who knows.

the next time a linux fanboy sings how great linux is you might remind him or her that it can be quite a pain getting all your hardware to work, linux is still in the dark ages (in many ways) regardless what the evangelists say. i can build the exact system i want when using windows, linux will require you to bow to what it works with, very limited to say the least, and difficult to get set up. i havent had a windows sytem crash on me in years, 2000 or xp has never crashed. the problems i had were with 95 and 98, never used millenium or vista though.

i will build what might be my last windows system. so far all the hardware i want to use will work with xp x86 or x64 minus a bit of support for a few standards, nothing i really need. it's mostly a futile protest build. my needs are modest and if all goes well it should run fine for 5 or so years, by then i will have saved enough to buy a mac :)
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Microsoft’s Desperate Strategy

Post by Whatacrock »

Microsoft’s Desperate Strategy: Annoy Windows XP Users Until They Upgrade

Windows XP’s retirement is quite a hot news topic these days, pretty much because users still relying on this particular OS version are running out of time to upgrade.

The operating system will go dark on April 8, so in case you’re actually planning to switch to another OS version, you have only 33 days left to do so.

If, on the other hand, you’re willing to stick to Windows XP for a little bit more, you’re going to need nerves of steel, as Microsoft has put together a plan that would really annoy many of you.

Starting March 8, Windows XP will receive updates that will bring upgrade warnings on all machines, which means that users who are still running this OS version will basically be assaulted with popups telling them to give a try to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Links to Microsoft’s websites, in case assistance is needed, will also be provided, the software giant guarantees. At the same time, the company says that, in case you are bothered by these notifications, an option to disable them will also be offered.

What’s more, it appears that, in case you’re running Security Essentials on a Windows XP machine, the anti-virus solution will be upgraded to display end of support warnings as well.

This means that, whenever you’re booting up your Windows XP computer and Security Essentials is loaded, the anti-virus product shall launch notifications telling you that an OS upgrade is needed. Again, links to Microsoft’s websites with information on how to upgrade will also be provided.

Of course, we’ve heard from users that this kind of strategy could easily become very annoying and such a thing pretty much makes sense, especially because everybody should know by now that Windows XP support is coming to an end on April 8.

Microsoft’s main problem isn’t necessarily the fact that people don’t know about Windows XP’s retirement, but the fact they aren’t willing to upgrade, so the company clearly needs to convince them in one way or another to give a shot to newer OS versions.

Until now, Windows 7 has been considered the main destination for the majority of XP users, but there’s also a share of consumers who are claiming that waiting for Windows 9 is a much better choice than making the move to an operating system that’s in no way effective and actually creates more confusion among beginners.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsof ... 0925.shtml
DesertJerry

Re: Microsoft’s Desperate Strategy

Post by DesertJerry »

Plus many comments I've read in other places indicates XP is increasing market share (now about 29%) while Win8/8.1 is losing. Will be interesting to see what the 8.1 Spring Refresh brings. :lol:
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Microsoft’s Desperate Strategy

Post by Whatacrock »

Have read the same, it appears the more Microsoft push into moving users to the newer Operating Systems the more the users are rebelling..

We shall see when Spring Refresh is released :o :o