Help with making release official

Requests for help go in here.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with making release official

Post by TheAPGuy »

As an occasional maintainer of the scripts as well as the programmer of the tools, I make it a point to keep each script download in its own folder as well as have an AIO folder for such an occasion. I will update them and get back to you on this issue.

edit:
I just updated XP x86 and vista and they both show official to me.
Run autopatcher with /debug on one of them and give the log please. It might show whats going on. I have a feeling that there is some kind of issue with running over network but, I hope not.
older-than-dirt

Post by older-than-dirt »

The next "test" that I did was to create a new directory called "AP-combined".

I copied the entire contents of the 4 directories that had reported "Official" status via autopatcher into the "AP-combined" directory.

I ran autopatcher in the combined directory and it reported "Official" status. This is good.

I then ran APUP in the AP-combined directory. Curiously, it downloaded a single update called:

"IE11-WIndows6.1-KB2909921-x64.msu" (about 34MB in size).

I then ran autopatcher again and the release is still marked "Official".

I ran APUP again (md5 check on 606 files) and it completed with no additional downloads.

I ran autopatcher and it reported an "Official Release".

So my question is: How could the release be official, yet still require a download and then still be official after the downloaded file? Is this expected behaviour?

I hope these tests help.
older-than-dirt

Log from running autopatcher (for the XPSP3 (x86) and XPSP2 (x64) directory, with /debug
► Show Spoiler
So, your recommendation is to have a separate directory for each of the modules then? This is to keep each script separate - yes?
older-than-dirt

Okay,
I just got the XPSP3 (x86) and XPSP2 (x64) directory now "Official"

I had to remove the "Original XP Registry Tweaks" module and the "Autopatcher Common Modules" module from the directory, run sweeper, run apup, run autopatcher.
older-than-dirt

Okay,
I just got the DotNet directory now "Official"

I had to remove the "Microsoft Security ENU Addon Pack" module and the "Autopatcher Common Modules" module from the directory, run sweeper, run apup, run autopatcher.
older-than-dirt

Okay,
I just got the VistaSP2 (x86) directory now "Official"

I had to remove the "Autopatcher Common Modules" module from the directory, run sweeper, run apup, run autopatcher.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

so in each of those cases common module was messing things up. hmm
older-than-dirt

Whoo hooo!
I now have an All-In-One AP that's an Official Release.. I think this is the first time ever for me (since APUP was born).

My new process for creating an AIO is:

1) Update each of the separate directories with APUP
2) Verify that each one is still official (Maybe run Sweeper each time?)
3) Create a new AIO directory from the individual ones. (I will probably have to create from scratch since this method won't remove old, obsoleted, replaced files unless Sweeper will do that. I am not sure if it will catch those or not)

Thanks All.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

older-than-dirt wrote:I've never really taken the time to figure out why my releases aren't marked official. When I run the latest autopatcher, attached is the output for the loaded releases. It is not obvious to me how to identify which directories/files need to be deleted in order to make the release official.
looking at this image i would have started by investigating the 3 offending office modules (in red, false). running 'autopatcher /verbose' and 'sweeper /test /verbose' on the releases, looking closely at the log file for the offending files from these 3 modules. the logs should make mention of the associated rti file.

this is a start but you may not be out of the woods fully. you could get the 3 offenders official (true) but the release may still be unofficial. getting closer :)
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

older-than-dirt wrote:Okay,
I took an educated guess at which .rti files equate to the unofficial modules. (Displaying the corresponding filename in the UI in a future release might be helpful). I just renamed the 3 .rti files temporarily.

Autopatcher now shows that there are no unofficial modules loaded, but still reports that the release is unofficial. What to do next? I am hesitant to run sweeper because every time I do, I end up downloading a bunch of files that sweeper had just previously deleted.
now you're making progress, you have your releases official but the total package is still unofficial, why,,, EXTRA files. when you have the releases official (true) but autopatcher warns of being unofficial, start hunting down extra files, and why they are there. you don't need to download anything just yet, only try to locate the extras using the info from the log files.

the extras are there usually from a bug in the script, by finding the extras (and from what release) and reporting it you help them maintain the scripts.

you can find the associated rti file by running 'autopatcher /verbose' and 'sweeper /test /verbose', look for any mention of 'EXTRA' files. see the sweeper log file here, notice the path, and the associated rti. manually move the files out (yourself) to a temporary safe place, rerun autopatcher and sweeper using the same switches - - - have a second look at the 'release info' and logs.

any change? if so and for the good (autopatcher is official) delete the files. if removing the files screwed something up, report it, 'why is sweeper telling me this file is extra, i remove it and sweeper is now complaning'. i know some will disagree but sweeper has been a bit schitzophrenic so i always run it with '/test'. i like to investigate first, for myself.