why installation so slow to complete ?

Requests for help go in here.
swgiant

why installation so slow to complete ?

Post by swgiant »

Iam running i5 3570 + 8gb ram.
Run the vmware workstation 10 for some reason, then installed a clean win7 sp1 x64 with intel vt enabled.
Run the latest autopatcher and let it download all the x64 updates.
But when it comes to the installation, certain updates was stuck at 97%. It took me 4hours still not complete.
Any solution ?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: why installation so slow to complete ?

Post by TheAPGuy »

Do you know what updates it was stalled on? Autopatcher simply waits for an update to finish before starting the next update. If it is taking a long time, then the update may have been waiting for user input or we possibly gave it bad install instruction.
swgiant

Post by swgiant »

Please refer to the file attachment.
it was my 3rd time to format and reinstall the win7.
Attachments
97.png
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

From your screenshot it appears that your attempting to install both the Critical and NonCritical plus others in a single pass... not a wise move to say the least.

I have experienced this phenomenon where the updates appear to hang nearing the end of the install, have put it down to something to do with the host and guest Operating Systems utilizing the cpu at the same time... beckoning an issue between the host Operating System and Virtualisation software.

Some advice appears to be in order here... Start of by installing the Critical updates that autopatcher selects first, allow to finish,restart and repeat, once completed all the Critical updates move on to NonCritical ,repeating the process until all are installed... finally move on to the miscellaneous updates as required..
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

just noticed the image posted, WOW, 200 updates all at once.

a good approach is, large full programs or major upgrades first (not necessarily at the same time) ie6 to ie8 -> reboot, then apply critical updates to system -> reboot, non critical non essential updates -> reboot.

with 200 updates needed on the install disc, might be time to integrate a few into a new install disc.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I just remembered having the same issue last year some time ago with my XP VM. It would hang on some updates with 100% CPU and zero HD activity. Can you try uninstalling that update then installing it manually to see if you get the same wait time?
Lechuck

Post by Lechuck »

Up to now I was using Autopatcher on WinXP and never had problems with it. Today I made VM with W7 and wanted it to update with AP 1.4.38.
It was so slow, that after 5 hours I gave up. I had the issue, that after each update progres was stuck at 97% - 99%. That lasted for about 10 min.
for each update. After 40 or so updates I gave up. I tried to install only critical updates.

Can I download where previous version 1.4.37 to check if the issue remains?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

If your talking about apup sure I have older versions on the server although they will NOT help you install faster. Your issue is to do with VM and Win7. I know I had the same issue a while ago trying to install updates for an XP VM. Even installing the updates manually took for ever. If I remember right... you might have the same issue as me if you have an AMD. Go here... http://autopatcher.net/wiki/index.php?title=Start_Here and check out the links if they apply to you.
Lechuck

Post by Lechuck »

I have i5 CPU and before I had no issues running VM XP on the physical same machine.

I tried to play with network settings (unplugged cable from physical machine, on VM I changed from bridged to host only, disconnect network to VM), but it didn't help. When it hangs CPU is to about 50%, network to 0%.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

As I have previously stated I believe the issue lies with the relationship between the host machine and the VM..
A few questions for you Lechuck -- which vitrualization software package are you running, also how much RAM allocated to the VM?? Last question, are you running autopatcher from the VM or outside source, ie external drive ??
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"