Portability & Questions

Requests for help go in here.
crobertson

Portability & Questions

Post by crobertson »

1- Why isn't there a check box to run with full log?
2- When running apup, if you don't recheck the boxes for windows versions, are they slated to be removed? They are bold. (I marked the box to keep them checked)
3- If they need to stay checked, shouldn't they stay checked by default and the user unchecks them to remove them?
4- I'm sure it is mentioned in one of the 100s of threads, but after the update, Windows Update shows 91 important updates remaining. (I keep WU off). I guess it takes time to integrated new updates or are they just not necessary?

5- Is program portable? or what is the process so I don't have to download all the updates again? I would like to put this on a usb or cd to updates computers as we re-install the OS. when we attempt to run from a USB or network drive, we receive an error that the service is not installed. So apparently I have to run apup to confirm the files are there/updated, then run the updater. Is there a work around so I can just run the autopatcher without running the apup?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Portability & Questions

Post by TheAPGuy »

ChrisJ has answered your questions in another thread.
I will take the log question though. The log is generated as one of the first instances of the program I can control. It starts up the log and logs MANY things before the user (you) can even see a screen. To the point where you can enable more logging, it would have already missed most of the important issues to log. The log can generate...SERIOUS amount of text if you use debug/maxdebug (only version 6 of AP has this) switch. There are 4 levels of logging; Default, Verbose, Debug, MaxDebug. Anything more then default is generally not needed to help users. If your having an issue generally it is in starting up phase where you would not even get to turn on the log switch anyways.

Any other questions?
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

ViroMan wrote:ChrisJ has answered your questions in another thread.
Weird, the questions were there, then they vanished :? Just in case crobertson missed the answers :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=974#p2600
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@crobertson -- An answer to question 4 -
I'm sure it is mentioned in one of the 100s of threads, but after the update, Windows Update shows 91 important updates remaining. (I keep WU off). I guess it takes time to integrated new updates or are they just not necessary?
.... Autopatcher installs the latest updates available from Microsoft, there are however other updates being available, some are not available from autopatcher, these primarily being Windows Update Agent (no standalone installer available), Windows Defender updates and definition updates. Also in those offered by Windows Update will be the .NET Framework updates (these available as a separate release in autoptcher), and finally there maybe hardware drivers available.

We try to keep autopatcher updated with all available but at times some are superseded, these are removed but MS may determine that still are required.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"